Tuesday, January 20, 2009

"Patchwork Heritage"

Today, our 44th President was sworn in. It was freezing cold in Washington, D.C., but that did not dissuade the sea of people that stood out to witness this historical day. It was a moment that brought most of us to tears - many a grandmother has uttered in disbelief to reporters, "I never thought I would see this day in my lifetime." Barrack Hussein Obama, our 44th President, is also the first of African-American heritage, and coming the day after we celebrate the Reverend Martin Luther King's birthday, this inauguration is especially poignant. It shows us how far we've come as a nation and as a people, and I believe Dr. King would be proud today, very proud.

I was only able to catch about 30 minutes of the inauguration (during lunchtime at my new employee orientation), but those were the best timed 30 minutes - I got to see the new president being sworn in and I got to hear his speech. President Obama is an excellent orator and writer with an almost poetic nature to his words; if anyone gets the chance to read his memoir, Dreams from my Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance, I strongly urge you to take that chance and read it. It is amazing and he has a wonderful narrative style. Today was no different. I was particularly struck by his phrase, "patchwork heritage," which I thought was brilliant! This nation, we, are made up of a "patchwork heritage [that] is a strength, not a weakness." Our country is comprised of different cultures, heritages, religions and languages. That's what makes this nation so great! And his words reminded me of how great we can be and how far we've come. He cited examples of important historical events since our nation's inception which added to the wonder of the moment and to the belief that we can change and we can achieve if we want it enough.

I think that was the most important part of the message. Anything is possible if you're willing to work hard, and if you remember what your values and morals are. Don't forget where you came from and work hard to get to where you want to be. If you want to read his speech, check it out here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090120/ap_on_go_pr_wh/inauguration_obama_text.


I hope you all enjoyed viewing the inauguration and that you are proud with how far we've come. This nation is not perfect, but then again, no nation ever is. However, it isn't called the "Land of Opportunity" for nothing.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is an awesome extra credit assignment..Its amzing being able to be alive to witness history in the making and to be able to tell our future generations we were apart of a legacy :)

    ReplyDelete