Sunday, August 30, 2009

My Summer

Since you're all posting about your summers, I thought I'd post, too. This summer was the first summer I've been off since I was 17. I was anticipating it fully and was excited about all the possibilities it would bring, especially since it meant being able to spend more time with my two-year-old son.

It started out engaging enough. I took a four-day memoir writing workshop with author Esmeralda Santiago (author of When I Was Puerto-Rican, The Turkish Lover, and others) and read her first book When I was Puerto-Rican. This served as the push I needed to really get my writing going, and I ended devoting nap times (a good 3 hours most days!) to writing. During my son's wake times, we'd go to the park, the pool, the zoo, or any other outdoor activity - when it wasn't raining of course. This is the most sun I've received in many MANY years. It felt good getting all that vitamin D.

In between the week-to-week duties, we took a few mini trips to Satellite Beach, Disney (have I mentioned that I love anything Disney?!) and even got to go on our first Disney Cruise - a 4-day magical sea adventure. I could live on that ship (if I didn't have to pay for it). I also got to practice some photography, do a couple scrapbook pages, and planned my son's 2nd birthday party - Go Diego Go themed - or as he says it, "Go Guy."

It was a wonderful summer and I bonded much with my little man. The down side of that is that going back to school (aka daycare for him) has been very rough, much more than any of anticipated. But such is life.

2 comments:

  1. When I was Puerto Rican is one of my favorite books :) I've read it over 3 times, and im going to use it as my memoir :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went on a four day Disney Cruise too this summer!!!!
    It was so amazing, right?!
    How crazy, can you imagine if we were on the same boat and didn't even know it?
    Hehe.

    ReplyDelete