Monday, September 7, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Last night, my husband and I went to see Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I had been dying to see it since it came out, but circumstances prevented our being able to see it upon release. We finally got the chance yesterday. Now, I have read the last two books of the Harry Potter series, and I have to admit that reading the book actually made the movie somewhat disappointing. It was still spectacular, and I sat at the edge of my seat waiting for scenes I knew would come with the same anticipation as if I were watching it for the first time (which, technically I was - I was watching the Hollywood portrayal for the first time). But the book was better. When I got home, I immediately took the book out and reread the ending because of course, the movie omitted many scenes from the book and changed other details.

Overall, the movie was good though. We laughed, we cringed, I turned my head away from some wicked scenes (like when the girl gets cursed with the necklace! It seriously made me think Exorcist!). It had all the elements of suspense, drama, romance, and comedy you could want in a movie; it's just that the book had more. I want to re-read the last book for the 3rd time and I wonder what the directors will choose to keep and omit from that one. The wait for the last movies will be excruciating, that's for sure.

2 comments:

  1. I saw it at 12 a.m when it came out. I was actually kinda disappointed in the movie. I thought it would be such a better movie. To me it was actually the worst one out of all the movies. I didn't really like the story line, the best thing in this movie was the visual effects. I hope the next one will be better

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister loves Harry Potter. She's read all the books about 20 times each! I know she'll make me watch this movie with her so I hope it's good.

    ReplyDelete