Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Losing more family

Death is a curious thing. We tend to want to hate it, crush it, spit on it and turn it away; we don't like it, especially when it takes someone we love or it hurts those we love. Many of you know I lost my father. It was on Valentine's day last year, forever marking that (for some, overrated) holiday. It was hard, and it lead me to write the book I'm writing. He was the first of his siblings to die. He was the fourth of six. The eldest is eighty-two or eighty-three.

This morning, on my way in, I received a call that my father's brother, the second oldest, had passed away in the early morning hours in Colombia. He died a year and almost 7 months after my father, leaving the rest to wonder who's next, a sentiment that my aunt expressed to me when I spoke with her this afternoon. Two down, four to go. What a sad concept for those of us left behind to comprehend. My uncle leaves behind a wife of over fifty years and eight adult children; the youngest is four months younger than I am. One of them, the youngest girl, just had her second son a week ago. Some are born while others die. It's the cycle of life.

So today was a sad day for me. It brought back the flurry of emotions and the weight and darkness that came when my father died. It cemented my mortality and that of those I love even more.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. Just know, they are in a better place. As much as we want to disagree with it, and they deserved to stay a little longer, we can't do much of anything. I hope all is well with your family. Stay strong.

    -Amanda Castro

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it hurts but all i can give is my condolences to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow ! Reading this sent chills through my body, death is a crazy concept that we all will never understand. Its crazy that in life nothing is guaranteed except death itself, I send my condolences to you and your family, keep your head up, and continue to smile and keep your faith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A better place is what that call it once you die. I know understand what that really means when people die they get to rest their souls. Once death arrives there is nothing that is worried about, no bills, no family, no sickness, no STRESS. I guess that's why they call it a better place to be in. Not that it is something that any of us want but it is something that all of us will have to face.

    LIVE LIFE LOVE LONGER!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't experienced this yet. I'm sure its extremely painful. But at the same time it relieves much stress and causes them to truly rest in a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone tries to heal the pain of a death with, "They are in a better place" however it is not always so easy to believe this. The passing of a loved one is so hard to endure and I'm sorry to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'M REALLY SORRY TO HEAR THAT I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL I LOST MY GRANDFATHER WHEN I WAS A LITTLE GIRL I HAVE NEVER ATTAND ANOTHER FUNERAL BECAUSE I;M SO TERRIFIED OF THEM I DIDN'T EVEN GO TO MY LITLE COUSIN FUNERAL.. BUT THEY ARE IN A BETTER PLACE

    ReplyDelete