Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Blog Assignment: ALL CLASSES

Hi guys,

Here's a topic for this (or next) week:

Pick a time when you felt an overwhelming fear and write one paragraph describing and narrating that moment. Begin your paragraph with a topic sentence (e.g. A moment in my life when I felt an overwhelming fear was when __________.) That is just an example, but remember that it has to tell the reader what your paragraph will be about.

Here's mine:

Last week, I had an experience that, up to now, has been the scariest in my life. My husband had gotten home, and my son had already had dinner. It was before Halloween, so we had some candy in our plastic orange bowl appropriately dubbed "the Halloween bowl." In it were pieces of foil-covered chocolates, small yellow boxes of Dots, some miniature versions of favorite candies, and one or two individual-sized Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. I felt like picking on something, so I opened up a box of Dots and my son decided he had to have one. Since he'd had them before without a problem, I didn't hesitate to give him one. Meanwhile, my husband had prepared himself a cheese sandwich and my son promptly asked him for "more, " meaning, he wanted what daddy was having. My husband didn't see him chewing, so he assumed my son had already eaten his candy. Moments later, my son begins gagging and trying to cough. As I look up at him, I notice him bent over our coffee table and his face was turning purple. My husband leaped over our sofa to him, picked him up, turned him upside down, and started patting his back and doing the finger sweep. Nothing was coming out and my son's face was turning a darker shade. I scrambled in circles to find the phone and dial 911. When the operator answered, I blurted: "My two-year-old is chocking!" At that moment, I heard my son cry, his sobs coming out almost hysterically. My husband had kept flipping him upside down and doing the sweep until finally the candy had dislodged, and my son had spit out the un-chewed yellow Dots. I have never felt so scared and every time I think about how wrong that could have gone, I feel the same panic overcome me.

3 comments:

  1. I had the same experience with a granddaughter. She turned blue. Children die fast because they breath faster. There is no time for 911. I did exactly what your husband did and she is still around driving everybody crazy. I adore her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This once happened to me when I was smaller with a nacho cheese Dorito. It got stuck in my throat and was literally choking on myself. I must admit it was extremely frightening for me and my family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! thank God he's ok now! my mom told me that something like that happened to me, but it wasn't food, it was a piece of plastic from one of my toys, i was 1 at the time and my mother heard me choking. she said it was the scariest moment of her life, cause i started spitting out blood, since the plastic was cutting my throat. I can't imagine though how that must of been.

    ReplyDelete