Sunday, February 21, 2010

A day in my life...

Oh wait, that sounds too much like my blog title. But I'm really going to blog about a day in my life (aka today - well, actually, this weekend).

Yesterday my mom decided to take my son to her sister's house to see my grandpa and the family, so my husband and I took a trip down to Walmart and the outlets down in Florida City. For us, it's not that far, maybe 20 min. My son is outgrowing his clothes rather quickly, especially his winter, long-sleeved clothes. We always love driving down there, at the border between the main land and the keys. It's almost as if driving into a different part of the state, or even country. The sun shines a little more, the air is a little crisper, and the pace a little slower. And if we venture and take Card Sound Road into Key Largo, which for us is another 15 minutes from the outlets, we're really leaving behind the city. If you've never ventured there, let me tell you - it's an 18-mile stretch of vegetation, mangroves, ocean, and road. You see people in corners fishing. You hear birds cacawing above. You see house boats docked alongside the route, half-hidden behind wild trees. You see signs for panther crossings, although I have yet to see a live panther. I always look, though. I wish we'd had time yesterday to make that stretch into Key Largo, but unfortunately, we had to get back home to my mom, my son, and dinner - my son hadn't napped and he morphs into a cataclysmic meltdown when he doesn't nap. My mom was stressed.

Last night I was (finally) able to download the pictures we took at our recent trip to Disney, and I realized I had some pics there from winter break that I hadn't downloaded. I got some great pictures of my son! :) And I really (really, really, really, really) want that lens with the kick-butt zoom.

Today it's been a quiet day. I've cooked, I've done laundry, and I've graded. :) Sounds like fun, huh? My husband and I cooked cinnamon bun pancakes with maple icing for breakfast. They were pretty good, although the icing ended up with freezer/fridge taste. I think it was the butter. And, the pancakes had a peculiar, bitter taste. I think it was the baking powder (I used an open box instead of a closed one). We need to perfect the ingredients before we attempt that one again, but overall the pancakes came out pretty tastey.

I've also been grading here and there, in between all my other tasks. I graded some last night, and then some more yesterday morning. Now, I'm grading again since my son is napping and my husband is putting away the remaining Christmas decorations we still had up. Yes, I understand it's February and we just passed Valentine's Day. We just hadn't gotten around to taking everything down. Now we have.

2 comments:

  1. I love the way you described your son when he is overdue for a nap. "...he morphs into a cataclysmic meltdown when he doesn't nap." Yep, that sounds about the same with my son, haha.

    ReplyDelete