Saturday, February 27, 2010

Prayers for Chilean Earthquake Victims

Another earthquake has struck; this time it was an 8.8 magnitude quake in Chile, between Conception (a city of about 1 million) and Chillan (a town), that struck at about 3:30 in the morning. In addition to the quake, there are ensuing tsunamis that are said to strike (and have already begun striking) several coastal regions as far as the Philippines. Probably what makes this one hit close to home is that my husband's family is from Chile, and his cousins' family is from Chillan. After a few tense hours, all family has been accounted for (and is okay).

I was reading the news reports online, and what I read said that this was the second strongest quake to hit the country in the last 100 years. The 1960 earthquake that sent a string of tsunamis across the Pacific was a 9.5 magnitude quake. My father, when he was a priest, arrived to Chile right after those events. I remember him telling the story often. My mother-in-law lived that 1960 earthquake and she, too, tells some horrific tales.

Anyway, if you could spare prayers and thoughts to the Chilean people and for those who lie in the paths of possible tsunamis (I think we all still remember the devastating earthquake in Indonesia in 2004 and the ensuing and equally devastating tsunami that hit 11 Indian Ocean countries), please do.

3 comments:

  1. My prayers are with you, and your family in Chile. I hope you will have good news from them very soon. Please write, and let us know they are Ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My prayers are with you and your fam over there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THank you both. Everyone has been accounted for, thank God. It's pretty bad over there, though.

    ReplyDelete